Sunday, October 23, 2011

Scary squirrel

Today Kae sat down and worked on her next class project (for November). Each child got to pick an animal and create a piece of a totem pole using a gallon milk jug. (I adore this project, it allowed me to talk to kae about spirit animals and a part of me belief system!)

Kae picked.....the grey squirrel
Go figure

First she washed the jug and daddy cut a hole in the bottom so it will fit against the other kids jugs.

Then she painted the jug brown. After that dried she and daddy put silver/grey spots to shine through the second coat of brown.

After it dried she glued on enormous googly eyes!

We outlined the nose and mouth to be black and white, which she painted, and I drew lines to show the teeth, which are black.

The tail was harder, first we tried to glue a pipe cleaner to the handle and make a tube of fake fur to glue over it, didn't work, we ended up with a small strip of fur from the bottom of the jug to where the handle narrows, then I had to sew another small strip to the wrong side of that with the pipe cleaner in the pouch to make it bendy.

I think it's creepy, kae is super happy and can't wait to take it to school.

Total cost for great pagan oriented kids project $5.20 plus the gallon jug of milk.

Happiness for my child: oh yeah priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment