Thursday, February 9, 2012

Upcycled Tshirts and Cloth Diapers

Yesterday I got motivated to actually get some stuff off my To Do list!

Not much though /sigh

I cut the fabric for the baby's quilt. I didn't make the batting sandwich, or even bust out my sewing machine...

I then took the box of Ross' and my old t-shirts and deconstructed them, I set aside the sleeves and backs, and put the fronts aside to make "the quilt". Ross insists I'll never actually make him a tshirt quilt, claiming multiple women in his life have said they would, even claiming shirts, only to have nothing happen. I will have this quilt finished by our 10-year anniversary...I will damnit!

The sleeves I've set aside to cut circles, I'm going to sandwich the cotton between flannel and make nursing pads I can wash.

The backs I've started cutting up with pinking shears to use as cloth baby wipes. Mom and Ross think I'm a little crazy, but honestly, why put a disposable wipe in the trash, and the cloth diaper in the wash, when I can just wash it all in one load?! Though I have looked into flushable wipes. They are a consideration.

A lot of my friends and family keep looking at me like I'm crazy for all this "green crap". Part of it is, yes, better for the environment. We're setting a good example for Kae, one of her chores is to take out the recycling. And she's talking to grandma Debbie about starting a compost bin to use in the veggie garden.

Part of the cloth movement on my part is cost. Actually most of it is cost if I'm being honest. It's something like $5-6k a year saved using cloth diapers.

Last reason, cloth diapered kids potty train faster. I don't want another situation like kae, she didn't potty train until the summer before she started VPK. Part was my fault, but she's also stubborn as a mule.

13 days to baby, I'm getting closer to being ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment