Thursday, May 28, 2015

Forgotten Realms

So the DnD campaign we're running is Forgotten Realms. Which i'd heard of but couldn't place, because the universe is so huge it's hard to remember everything.

I'd read the first couple Dragonlance books, and played a few video games set in the DnD universe. And that's where stuff started to make sense. 

baldur's gate, neverwinter nights, and the neverwinter mmo are all in this world. And the events of the neverwinter mmo follow the main story exactly, if you bother to read the quests! So I wasn't completely lost. Hurray!

Typically when you play one of the games, you start in a city, you. Wander into the local tavern


And are recruited for a mission by...someone. The captain of the guard, a wanted poster, a drunken brawl, something.

You wander out and bam! You get jumped.

I called this one early on, I said, leaving this tavern will bring kobalds. And sure enough. Our first encounter was a small band of kobalds.


Kobalds are stupid, and smelly. They speak draconic, but act like rabid rats. 

We had 8 minions (1 hp) with spears, and 3 regular non-minions with crossbows. 

Our healer got stinky, the rogue got glued to the ground, the other Mage caught fire. 

I hid behind a tree, flanked them, and blasted 3 of 4 minions. 


Shhhh you can't see me.

All in all it was a lot of fun. We won the day, found some silver. And discovered the dwarven mine shaft we were looking for. 


I had fun. Our DM is very forgiving of my newbness, she's really happy to answer all my questions, and understand that I don't really "get" it yet. This isn't like mmo's. The dice are confusing, and I had to be reminded a lot which I needed to roll. And math. So.much.math.

Role playing out loud is also harder for me. I'm pretty social, and have no problems being a total geek, and in that regard i'm among my kindred, on the other hand, I don't know my character well enough to BE her.

Do I see myself continuing with this? Yes, absolutely. I'd love to make an all girl game with my friends and hang out and have hard cider and kill dragons. 

Stay tuned until next week ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment