Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Grandma

Today is the 16th anniversary of my grandmother's death.

She was old (ish) and had fought cancer, twice. The second time the cancer won.

It was rough. She was so strong. I'd like to think she'd be proud. Especially of Kaeley and Connor.

Because of Grandma, I spent my summers on a corn farm in Iowa. My mother picked up the love and ability to grow things, even working in a greenhouse when I was a kid. I, in turn, learned and love gardening from my mom. And now kaeley has a love of growing things, too.

My grandmother was also a crafter. She taught me how to crochet when I was 8. She taught me cross stitch and embroidery. She taught me to love hand made gifts because so much time and love goes into them.

Grandma grew up during the Great Depression. She got by on using every scrap of everything. Sewing, quilting, farming and canning. Hunting and freezing the leftovers. She taught this to us. The kids, grand kids and even the great grand kids.

Above all she instilled in us the importance of family.

So today, like all days, I hug my babies tight, and tonight we'll pull out the photo album and I'll show them Iowa, and the farm. And tell them about their great grandma. And where we came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment