Friday, May 24, 2013

All Around

The mulberry bush
The monkey chased the weasel 

Last night my children came home covered in...stuff

Red gooey stuff that looked like blood.

But turned out to be mulberries.

- about two years ago I was forced by the husbeast and the girl child to identify a tree growing in our neighborhood, it's a red mulberry tree, two of them actually -

Then kae grabbed a bucket off the patio and about an hour later she and Ross returned with the whole bucket...filled to overflowing, with ripe mulberries.


My grandmother used to make pies with the ones we'd pick wild on the farm. I have very fond memories of that. Since we always got to help.


Today I made a trip to the Walmart and bought pectin, canning jars and a 5 pound bag of turbinato sugar (its less processed).

And we made JAM!

4 pints from all the goo, which isn't too bad. 


Grandma would be so proud :)

I know my mom was.

Let's look at the price breakdown 

12 jars with lids and rings - 6.97 (58c each)
1.75 oz box pectin - 2.87
Funnel - 98 cents
Grippy jar dipper - 2.00
Sugar - 1.98 

If I did my math correctly, I paid about $1.80 a jar for each of the 4 I got from our harvest. This isn't including the cost of the funnel or tongs. Typically a 1 pint jar of jam costs about $4-6 here. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment