Saturday, September 26, 2015

Growing up

When you become a parent, you resolve to give your kids the things you never had. I'm pretty sure all new parents think it at some point, especially during the pregnancy, before you realize, you never had a lot of those things because they are expensive.



I stopped to think last night, I also want my kids to have the things I DID have. I had friends, I had sleepovers. I had Girl Scout camp and band and jrotc. I was free to pursue my interests and hobbies. And my mom never told me no.

I mean, of course she told me "no". But when I wanted to be a Girl Scout, she signed me up, and dropped me off for meetings, and was even cookie mom every year I was a scout. 

When I was in band, she found a way to get me a flute. She put up with my terrible skills while I practiced at home, she came to every single concert and competition. 



And when I joined JROTC, she supported that too. She paid for my uniform, my dues, picked me up from practice every day. And chaperoned our out of town field meets. 

When I took a photography class with a lab, my mom found a way for me to have a camera. When I played in a metal band, she helped me get my bass guitar. 

My mother never stunted my creativity. Or my interests.

I want to be that mom.



Kaeley has a wonderful opportunity to be in band in 4th grade. She got fitted for an instrument yesterday and got picked as a clarinet. I am super proud. Now to find a clarinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment